Events & Field Trips
To protect our members and the community, Yakima Valley Audubon is following local, state and national recommendations regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. The May chapter meeting, plus field trips and activities through May, have been cancelled. As recommendations change, we will continue to follow them and alert the membership to those changes.
Even in these times, we hope you can find a way to enjoy birds and the natural environment.
Chapter Meeting: Our Backyard Bumbles: An Introduction to Washington’s Bumblebees by David Jennings
March 26 (Thursday), 7pm (CANCELLED) - Yakima Area Arboretum Office, 1401 Arboretum Dr., Yakima, WA
- (CANCELLED) March 26 Bumble bees and other native pollinators - David Jennings
- (CANCELLED) April 23 Clark’s Nutcracker - Taza Schaming
- (CANCELLED) May 28 aspects of crow intelligence - Loma Pendergraft
- August 27 Corvid Research - Kaeli Swift
- September 24 butterflies and their conservation – David James
- October 22 to be announced
- December 3 to be announced
- 2020 field trips are currently on-hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Future Field Trips
- (CANCELLED) May 20 (Wed) Snow Mountain Ranch half-day trip. Karen and Joe Zook. firstname.lastname@example.org
- (CANCELLED) May 22-25 (Fri-Mon) Memorial Day Weekend Audubon Wenas Campout. Washington State Audubon Event. Many field trips and other activities.
(CANCELLED) May 30. Native Plant Society/YVAS Joint Field Trip: Led by Ed Lisowski, WNPS. Meet at Chesterly Park at 8:00 AM.
- Jun 13 Second Saturday Bird Walk. Meet at 9:00 AM at the Sarg Hubbard parking lot. Birding as a group along the Greenway and Arboretum trails for approximately two hours. “No-host”
Jun TBD Forest Service Snag Monitoring Program. Survey on Forest Service roads near Nile for birds making use of 48 artificial “snags” created by the FS. An opportunity for YVAS to support a new conservation project by the Forest Service. Date and leader TBD.
- Sept 12 (Sat) White Pass/Leech Lake birding. Trip Leaders: Andy and Ellen Stepniewski. email@example.com
Sept 26 (Sat) Conrad Meadows, Hwy 12 for grouse and fall migration. Trip Leader: Kerry Turley, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oct 3 (Sat) Bird banding demonstration at the Yakima Arboretum. Participation is limited and weather dependent. Contact Jeff Kozma, email@example.com for details.
Oct 10 (Sat) Back-up date for bird banding demo. Jeff Kozma, firstname.lastname@example.org
Nov TBD Youth Environmental Summit – YVAS to have booth at Yakima County Solid Waste sponsored event. Date and details will follow as available. Coordinated by Ellen Stepniewski, email@example.com.
- Dec 3 (Thurs) YVAS Annual Meeting and Christmas Potluck
Dec 19 (Sat) Toppenish CBC. Eric Heisey and Andy Stepniewski, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jan 2, 2021 (Sat) Yakima CBC. Denny Granstrand. email@example.com